On 23–24 May 2002, in Chicago, Illinois, USA, a jury of 11 intensivists heard expert testimony that was intended to answer five specific questions:
1) What is the epidemiology of ICU-acquired pneumonia?
2) What are the pathophysiological characteristics and pathogenesis of ICU-acquired pneumonia?
3) What are the risk factors and effective preventive measures for ICU-acquired pneumonia?
4) What is the best means to establish a diagnosis of ICU-acquired pneumonia?
5) What are the optimal therapeutic approaches to ICU-acquired pneumonia.
The following is a synopsis of the expert testimony, the jury’s interpretation of the testimony and their recommendations.